Thursday, June 18, 2009

Knuckle Update - Paying for Assisted Living

So, today's job is to find the right forms from the VA. It's like going on a scavenger hunt!
There are over 17,000 forms on the VA website and while I know the ones I need are there, I'm a bit daunted.
Evidentally, there's a supplemental payment for eligible veterans and their surviving spouses (Roach) to help with the increased rent one pays to move from the independent apartment or house to the ALF. The "helpful" for-profit companies offer to facilitate this, but I'm looking to see if I can't manage it myself.
So. Day one:
Daddy's discharge papers. Done
now what?
More as it happens...or doesn't.


chickory said...

oh dear. welcome to paperwork hell. it would be so much easier if we could just win the lotto. half the money they could give roach will actually be spent on minions who administer the paper.

ABG said...

Part 2: I called the 800 number and actually talked to a very nice person who is sending me the correct form. She also gave me some good tips on how to proceed from there. We'll see. The customer service people usually are very pleasant but too often none of what they promise is binding. We'll see!

Anonymous said...

You know, I recently encountered pleasant, helpful people while wrangling my way thru Velcro Child's Social Security application. When the check actually showed up this month, I found myself wondering if it was dream...pigs fly!

Anonymous said...


You shouldn't be surprised that pigs can fly. Haven't you heard the swine flu?

Billie Jean