Friday, July 24, 2009

Season of the Tomato

Tomato flavors at the green market are varying from farm to farm and even, in the batch I bought Saturday, from fruit to fruit, or vegetable to vegetable if you're interested in that argument.

I'm eating one a day while they last, at lunch on a sandwich with swiss cheese and pesto and at dinner with pasta and pesto. (I'll be making pesto with some friends later on.)

Thursday's tomato had a lot more rich juice than the others in its carton and responded to a slight flurry of salt by becoming sweeter and tangier. The best so far.

Of course, it wouldn't be summer without sun tea.

1 comment:

Jonna said...

I LOVE TOMATO'S. They are my all time favorite veggie/fruit. Sadly my plants (once again) are not fairing so well. When we lived in town I had awesome tomato's. Moved to 10 acres and for some reason I've never been able to get them to grow well out here. I should probably have the soil tested. Loved your off the grid entry. Good Luck.