Friday, October 17, 2008

What We Mean by "Change Your Life"

Seems like such a weighty word, doesn't it.

change

transform

alter

shift

make different



I could say my life is changed because my ass is a little higher this October than it was back in March. I could say that because it's true and comes with it evidence of exercise and the spiritual archeological dig I'm on to find something in the mirror remotely familiar to the face and body I once admired.



I could say my life is changed because I know how competitive I am. Again. But that would not be as true as the next time I say it. Because the next time I say it, I'll have taken up tennis or another competitive sport. Or joined a theater group or participated in a contest. No change, but a shift in point of view. Something I once called angleslide.



I could say my life is changed because I belong to a community now. Not the inner circle, not a vocation, but in the door, a middle pew.

Just as a passion for art means, at last, showing up every day --- without hysteria --- simply because there's nothing else you'd rather be doing, changing your life means movement from one to another. Small change or large. Change is change.

No comments: