Saturday, May 15, 2010

Illustrated Journal Workshop

Last week I took a much needed workshop in composing and simplifying plein air sketches taught by Marilyn Brandenburger at the Spruill Arts Center. We started with simple sketches of a radish (one each) then moved on to packing our outdoor kits and roaming the area immediately outside the art center. On Sunday we worked from photographs. I'm always taking pictures of things and places I think would make nice pages but ... then I post them here!

Following Marilyn's simple instructions, I learned how to break the view into it large shapes, sketch them out and then fill in with ink and watercolor. Here are a couple of the books on sketchbooks and journals I like. There are more and more out everyday.




and here are some of the sketches I did. So hard to be need when I'm used to being a wild child.




2 comments:

Cary said...

These are lovely, Alicia.

Anonymous said...

I love these. Thanks for sharing. - Chris H