Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Why Parades Make Me Cry


I look like a real tubby in my new uniform but I was actually wearing at least two layers of sweaters, including a very thick white knit affair belonging to my older sister. Also, because that particular Kennedy-era St. Patrick's Day was one of the wettest, coldest, sleetiest on record, my mom stuffed me into two pairs of tights and an extra pair of socks. It's amazing I could move at all.

But I will never forget leading (with best friend and nemesis, Eileen Celey) our school in the NY St. P Day Parade. Traditionally, the lead school is right behind the NYPD mounted police. I'm quite sure it was the rain, snow and sleet that kept us from slipping in the inevitable horse manure and for this I am grateful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another version of Alicia! I love this as much as the Sister Sarcastica photo.